Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What is this PULSE thing again?

So here I am--living in a big old house in East Liberty, at my desk, writing a blog. This is not exactly what I pictured for my post-grad experience. I always figured I'd be attending graduate school somewhere, earning a higher degree. Instead, I signed up for a year of volunteer service and leadership cultivation through the Pittsburgh Urban Leadership Service Experience (PULSE).

What is PULSE? In case you don't feel like clicking on the handy link, PULSE is an organization that desires to cultivate a community of young servant leaders to transform Pittsburgh. It is a chance for me to serve in a city I love a lot, learn more about how to best serve cities, grow in my faith and develop useful skills for the workplace all at the same time.

This year, PULSE consists of eight women. So far, we're getting along well! I am so excited to be in a place where so much love, support and growth will occur. I was admittedly a little worried about eight ladies living together in one house, without ever meeting, but I think it's going to go well. God has some big plans for the eight of us to be at the PULSE house together this year. We've already done a lot of laughing, bonding and eating as a group. :)

Orientation updates will come later--but just know that I am feeling incredibly blessed to be at PULSE this year. There are times that this whole thing sounded crazy and I even second-guessed my decision a few times, but I really feel that God is doing some amazing things in my life and PULSE is just one way He's making that happen.

Keep reading, friends. And update me on your lives, please! I'd love to hear about them.

p.s. The title of my blog? A nod to Mother Theresa, who said "You may feel that what you are doing is just a drop in the ocean, but the ocean would be less without that one drop." I'm only putting a drop or two into those beautiful three rivers, but I'm excited about it. :)

1 comment:

  1. A drop in the ocean,
    A change in the weather,
    I was praying that you and me might end up together.
    It's like wishing for rain as I stand in the desert,
    But I'm holding you closer than most,
    'Cause you are my heaven...

    Your title made me think of that. MISS YOU!! And I got the email of you and all and you look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete