Monday, July 11, 2011

Geography.

Still coming down from my post-vacation high/low. That point where you really miss vacation and the relaxation it brought, but you are also glad to be back to your space and routine, reminiscing about the wonderful time you had in [fill in the blank].

So, here are some random bits.

1. Google+
Do we like, or do we not like? Warning--lazy snobbery about to commence. I feel like I have built a relatively extensive network on Facebook and Twitter, both of which took a while to build. Even if it wasn't that hard, it still took awhile.

Right now, I have about 10 (maybe?) people that have been added into my "circles". I don't really know if I feel like putting in the time to find more people; maybe Google+ will be more passive for me (at least at first?). One thing that I do appreciate so far, however, is that I don't have to share everything with everyone. I can select circles with which I'll share different information.

So, add me on Google+? I go by my full first name.

2. Airports
Because a 9+ hour car ride isn't my idea of a good time, I flew to Raleigh, NC to visit my sister, brother-in-law and niece (now 1 year old!!!!!) for 9 days of relaxing, family time, babysitting, and birthday parties.

It was splendid. Relaxing but not, and isn't that always vacation? I'm glad I went. The return home is always hard--I hate, HATE leaving that baby and my sis and BIL--and this time was worse as we were delayed for an hour.

But when I landed in Pittsburgh and stepped off the plane, I smelled it. Home. The Pittsburgh International Airport has a distinct smell for me and while I can't put my finger on just what it is, I know that it smells like home. Pittsburgh, I love you.

But let's talk about this for a second. Pittsburgh, PA is about an 9 hour car ride (including stops) from the Raleigh suburbs where my family lives. NINE hours. That's a lot of driving, or conversely a lot of waiting at the airport for a quick flight on one of those dinky little "feel every bump" planes.

I propose that we cut out all the stuff between the two and make Pittsburgh and Raleigh about 30 minutes from each other.

Ready....go!

1 comment: